Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Elements of a Dystopian Novel
Elements of Dystopian Novels:
- intense or extreme social control (with emphasis on the negative effects of the control)
- satires or makes fun of a utopian society
- concerned with politics and culture
- offers a warning of what will happen under certain circumstances
- author examines "poverty, squalor, or oppression"
- elements of control and lack of freedoms
- restricted information
- humanity taken away (dehumanized)
- illustion of a utopia or perfect world
Elements of a Dystopian Hero:
- helps the reader to understand the problems with the society
- discovers secret, restricted, or hidden information which causes them to act
- feels trapped or isolated physically and/or socially
- takes a risk or is a rebel
- insider to their society
End of the World Literature
Utopia: the perfect society; an imangined place or state of things in which everything is perfect. This genre of literature explores social and political structure.
Dystopia: an imperfect society; an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one. This genre of literature explores social and political structure.
Apocalypse/Post-Apocalypse: This genre deals with the threat to civilization after a world altering disaster such as nuclear war, pandemic, climate change, etc and how humans overcome the event.
Ectopian: a world that revolves around environmental conservation or destruction.
Dystopian Novels in the OTMS Library
Don't have time to get to the library?
Send an email to Mrs. Loffredo
with your book title and reading teacher's name
and the book will be delivered to you.
Click below for email:
Follett Electronic Books
Click to access.
Your username is the same name you use to log on to a school computer
and the password is your student id #.
Enter "wbb01036" on Follett Apps.
Dystopian E-books Available:
The Softwire: Virus on Orbis One
Life As We Knew It series by Pfeffer
Empty by Weyn
Gathering Blue by
Epic by Kostick